Saturday 6 July 2013

Sunset Moth (Urania riphaeus)

I have to just put a quick post up about this moth. I purchased a specimen recently after seeing some amazing shots of the wing scales by a couple of posters at www.photomacrography.net
 
Here's a link to the Wikipedia article on the Sunset moth

On the taxonomy I think I am using an old Latin name for this insect, I'm trying to get clarification on this, but this moth does have several synonyms, some of which are mentioned on the Wikipedia article above.

I recommend anyone into shooting bugs with an indoor macro studio should attempt to get hold of a specimen of this moth, it is quite remarkable when magnified. I've spent a good part of three evenings shooting this insect so far and I am not remotely finished with it yet! The iridescence of the scales makes it a challenging subject to light, shoot and stack, but I like a challenge..

See the the Butterfly/Moth gallery for my best shots of Urania riphaeus so far.

Here are a few of my favourites.




No comments:

Post a Comment