Saturday 6 July 2013

What to shoot in deep winter?

Okay, my first real blog post*, I'd better make it something worthwhile!

As primarily a bug/fungi shooter, what does one do in the depth of winter when there are virtually no fungi or bugs around?

Well recently I've started looking at lichen and moss, simply because there is nothing else out there!
Surprisingly both of these subjects can be quite interesting when viewed at high enough magnification...

Here's an example of a part of a Moss plant, the Peristome of the spore capsule (sporophyte)




Due to the size, this subject required focus stacking to get detail over any depth.

However while researching what the this moss was, I came across some wonderful moss galleries at the British Bryological Society website - page 1, page 2, page 3. These have inspired me to try to shoot some nice moss shots out in the field as well!

Edited to add; There are now some wild moss shots in the Mosses section of the Plants gallery

 * There were a lot of test posts while I was putting the blog code together!

No comments:

Post a Comment